Stuffed with melty cheddar cheese, softly scrambled eggs, creamy avocado, sausage and crispy potatoes, this homemade breakfast burrito recipe will make any night owl into a morning person. An awesome trick is that they also double up as a fantastic lunch option too!
How to Make a Breakfast Burrito
Can we let you in on a little secret? Homemade breakfast burritos are dead easy. In fact, is a breakfast burrito recipe really necessary? Well, obviously we think it is! Hear us out. True, anyone can take a few breakfast ingredients and toss them in a tortilla, but we want the best for you! Specifically, we want the best breakfast burrito recipe to be in your recipe arsenal.
Here’s what your going to need to shop for..
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 500g breakfast sausage, ground (not links)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, white and green parts, chopped
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 avocados, sliced
- fresh cilantro
So! Here’s how you make the best ever breakfast burrito:
- Prep! Whisk the eggs, dice the potatoes, chop the green onions, slice your avocado.
- Brown! Cook the breakfast sausage—ground, not links—until it’s nicely browned and sizzling.
- Scramble the eggs IN the sausage fat. Oh yes. Waste not want not—also, it makes the eggs extra delicious. We’re fans of the low-and-slow method when it comes to scrambling eggs—stir frequently and let low heat do the rest.
- Fry the potatoes! In the same pan that you cooked the sausage and eggs in—one pan! You know we’ve got you!—fry the potatoes in a little oil until they’re nicely crisp on the outside and cooked through.
- Mix it up! Once the potatoes are cooked, add the sausage, eggs and green onions to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Assemble! One at a time, lay out a tortilla and spoon some of the sausage-egg-potato mixture directly into your mouth. No wait. That’s not right. One at a time, lay out a tortilla and spoon some of the sausage-egg-potato mixture into a tortilla. Top with cheese, avocado slices, salsa and cilantro.
- Melty, crispy, gooey breakfast burrito goodness! Line all of your assembled burritos up on a baking sheet, and bake just until they are golden on the outside and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
How to Freeze Breakfast Burritos:
Speaking of make-ahead breakfast burritos, you can make these way ahead and freeze them. Make a big batch and freeze the burritos to grab, heat and eat during the week. To freeze breakfast burritos, make them all the way up to the point of assembly, and then stop before you bake them. To ensure freshness, be sure to wrap them tightly in a Ziploc bag. When you’re ready to eat, bake them in the oven until golden and melty, or—if you’re really in a rush—pop them in the microwave until they’re warmed through.
Want Help Becoming The Healthiest, Fittest, And Happiest Version Of Yourself?
How do you train these muscles to get all the benefits listed above? Work with a coach who can put together a full-body training programme that’s designed to help you accomplish your exact goals.
We’d love to talk to you about a training plan. If you’re ready to change your body, and your life, with help from some of the country’s best coaches, this is your chance.
To book a consultation today, click here!