This chicken fajita bowl is one of our go-to weeknight meals. It’s healthy, easy, and balanced. Plus, we know it is always a hit with kids too. A fajita burrito bowl might sound complicated, but they are actually super simple.
Season some chicken with taco seasoning—homemade, if you’ve got it!—add some black beans, roasted bell peppers and all the fixings and serve over brown rice. Plus, it’s an ideal meal for all of you superhero meal-planners! Prep the ingredients a few days ahead, and you’ve got a customisable, buildable meal ready to go.
You can add in or take away things you don’t like! It can be a really fun way to encourage kids to try new veggies, or different foods together!
Are Burrito Bowls Healthy?
You betcha! We build this burrito bowl on a brown rice base, so it has a healthy start. But, if you’re trying to eat fewer carbs, a big pile of shredded romaine makes for a delicious base in place of the rice, or in addition to your portion. Adding a little extra salsa and lime juice to your bowl will give it a sort of “dressing”. Once you’ve chosen your base add the proteins (chicken and beans), veggies, and healthy fats (I see you guacamole!) and you’ve got yourself a delicious, balanced dinner.
First we tackle the seasoning.
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- ½ tbsp black pepper
Yup. That’s it. Mix all ingredients in a bowl, stir to combine. Store for up to 6 months in a tightly sealed container.
Yield: about 1/2 cup of seasoning.
Ok, what do you need for the rest?
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 can black beans
- 1 batch guacamole
- sour cream
- salsa (home made if you want to be fancy! OR simple chopped up tomatoes/ coriander and onion work delightfully)
How to make it up?
- In a large bowl make a marinade using the taco seasoning, olive oil and lime juice. Toss chicken and vegetables in marinade and allow to marinate, covered for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Spread ingredients across pan and allow to bake for 15 minutes, or until meat is cooked through. If you want to add some char to meat and veggies, broil for another 3 minutes.
- In a bowl spread out rice and top with all desired fixings. Enjoy!
- *Prep tip- Store all ingredients separately and build for meal prep. If making for lunch store the guacamole, sour cream, salsa and cilantro in a separate container than the rice, chicken and beans. Heat up the bowl and top with fixings!
Also great to lay out on the table and encourage kids to explore and build their own meal!
Want Help Becoming The Healthiest, Fittest, Strongest Version Of You?
Most people know that regular movement, eating well, sleep, and stress management is important for looking and feeling better. Yet they need help applying that knowledge in the context of their busy, sometimes stressful lives.
That’s why we work closely with our Nutrition Coaching clients to help them lose fat, get stronger, and improve their health… no matter what challenges they’re dealing with.
If you’re ready to change your body, and your life, with help from some of the country’s best coaches, this is your chance.